One of the things I love about home schooling is being able to witness these academic "milestones" (if there is such a word) as well as the bloopers that are just too special to miss. Just like the first time Benedict put the sounds of the two letters together, you would think Glenn and I hit the jackpot! True that are hair-pulling challenges esp when patience is short but thats nothing compared to the joy you feel such as this one...
We were studying some vocabulary words one morning, startled was one of them. Ok so where's the challenge there, right? But for an 8 y.o. who talks a lot, he couldn't give me the one word meaning I was looking for. He knows and understood the meaning of the word alright. He tried describing the word to me with matching hand gestures and facial expression. Too cute, but the teacher-mom (me) was being stubborn that I insisted he gives me the meaning that starts with an "S". First he said "scared?" (ikaw bay nakuyawan, di ba?) but no, that's not it. So I started to use it in a sentence to help him out.
Me: We're inside the church, you were startled to see that behind you, was Mikael and Gabrielle?
B: And its starts with an "S", mom?", he asked. I said yes. Then I heard hissing sound . . SSSSssssthen he blurted out . . . sssSSOOO HAPPY, Mom!" hahaha, so it starts with an "S" doesn't it?
Right, and why wouldn't he be so happy, Mikael and Gabrielle happen to be two of his favorite in the whole wide world whom he misses so much since they moved to TX. But wrong of course, its not the one word meaning of 'startled' .
So I made another example, a sure give away: "Daddy came home with a G.I. Joe toy..." in a heartbeat, Benedict said,"SURPRISED!" Correct!
Clearly, the last example was not about "startled" anymore. I was just desperate to get the right answer. Hmmm, my bad. But I thought that was just sSOO funny :D

2 comments:
you homeschool, wow!
Hi, Therese. Been doing this for four years now. Its quite a challenge with me working at night five days a week. But we love it and wouldnt have it any other way. Thanks for dropping by :D
Post a Comment